Conference: Biomedical and Imaging Approaches in the Management of Atrial Fibrillation
When: 7–9 November 2019, Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Where: Imogen Research Institute
Organizing committee: Chairman: Zoltán BÁLINT; Members: Anca ANDREICA, Claudia BUDUREA, Cristiana CIORTEA, Vasile COMAN, Laura DIOȘAN, Simona MANOLE, Nicolae LEOPOLD, Sorin POP, László SZABÓ, Ioana TRANDAFIR.
Objective: The objective of this conference was to start an interdisciplinary debate on the management of cardiac diseases. We have brought together cardiologists, radiologists, physicists, biologists, researchers, engineers and students in order to discuss recent progress of the diagnostics and treatment options for cardiac diseases. Our conference was an excellent opportunity to exchange ideas about cardiac arrhythmia from different points of view: practical, clinical and research.
Session I – Medical Imaging Analysis
- Prof. Marius Andronache. Affiliation: Cardiology Department, CHU Clermont-Ferrand, Clermont-Ferrand, France. Specialty: Primary cardiologist. Title: Ablation on atrial fibrillation – Ablation techniques in 2019.
- Prof. Irina Voiculescu. Affiliation: University of Oxford, Computer Science Department, Oxford, Great Britain. Specialty: Computational biology and computer systems in health Title: Adapted data structures for MRI scans
- Dipl. Ing Christian Payer. Affiliation: Technical University of Gratz, Institute of Computer Graphics and Vision, Graz, Austria. Specialty: Computer vision systems and multimedia. Title: The integration on the spatial configuration in CNNs in order to localize anatomical landmarks and the segmentation of the whole heart with multiple labels.
- Prof. Laura Dioșan. Affiliation: Computer Science Department, The Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science, Babeș-Bolyai University and the County Clinical Emergency Hospital, Imogen Institute, Cluj-Napoca, Romania. Specialty: Computer Science professor, interested in AI and machine learning applied in image processing. Title: Inspired by nature, intelligent methods to automatically process MRI images .
Session II – Clinic Management of Cardiac Disease
- Prof. Dr. Jacques Felblinger. Affiliation: IADI (UL-INSERM U947) Laboratory, CHRU Nancy Brabois, Rue du Morvan, 54511 Vandoeuvre Cedex, France. Specialty: MRI, Instrumentation and safety for MRI. Title: Electro-imaging and tissue characterization with MRI and interventional electrophysiology.
- Lecturer Gabriel Cismaru. Affiliation: The University of Medicine and Pharmacy Iuliu Hațieganu, The Medicine Faculty and The Rehabilitation Hospital Cluj-Napoca, Romania. Specialty: Primary cardiologist. Title: Medical imaging in the treatment of atrial fibrillation.
- Lecturer Radu Roșu. Affiliation:
- The University of Medicine and Pharmacy Iuliu Hațieganu, The Medicine Faculty and The Rehabilitation Hospital Cluj-Napoca, Romania. Specialty: Primary cardiologist. Title: Prevention and rehabilitation of patients with atrial fibrillation after ablation.
Session III – New Methods in Diagnostic
- Dr. Radu Boitor. Affiliation: School of Physics & Astronomy, University of Nottingham, Great Britain. Specialty: Multimodal Spectral Imaging – Bio-Physical Techniques. Title: Clinical translation of the Raman-based multimodal spectral histopathology instrument for tissue preservation surgery.
- Conf. Habil. Nicolae Leopold. Affiliation: The Physics Faculty, Babeș-Bolyai University, Cluj-Napoca, Romania. Specialty: Physicist, expert in optical spectroscopy, interested in the medical applications of nanophotonics. Title: Liquid biopsies of biofluids. based on nanoparticles.
- Dr. Mihaela-Maria Coman. Affiliation: The County Clinical Emergency Hospital and the Municipal Hospital, Imogen Institute, Cluj-Napoca, Romania. Specialty: Radiologist. Title: Imaging in atrial fibrillation, results of the imATFIB study.
Session IV – Animal models and imaging techniques on small animals
- Dr. Márta Sárközy. Affiliation: Metabolic Diseases and Cell Signalling Group, Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Szeged, Szeged, Hungary. Specialty: Different models of heart disease; therapeutic objectives and molecular mechanisms in the development of radiation-induced heart disease; molecular mechanisms in the development of uremic cardiomyopathy: the role of gender differences; stress adaptation of the myocardium under pathological conditions. Title: The mechanism and the modulation of oxidative / nitrative stress in type 4 cardio-renal syndrome and renal sarcopenia.
- Dr. Liviu Chiriac. Affiliation: The Physics Faculty, Babeș-Bolyai University; National Magnetic Resonance Center, The University of Medicine and Pharmacy Iuliu Hațieganu, The Heart Institute, Cluj-Napoca, Romania. Specialty: MRI. Title: Validation of nanoparticle-based contrast agents in animals.
- Dr. Mihaela-Maria Coman. Affiliation: Department of Biophysics and Radiation Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary. Specialty: Radiopharmacy and biomedical sciences. Title: Imaging metabolism and inflammatory response in cardiac ischemia in mice, using three ways (SPECT, PET and MRI).
- Camelia Albu (RO) – Histopathological changes after injection of gold-coated iron nanoparticles in rats.
- Mónika Gabriella Kovács (HU) – The anti-hypertrophic effect of the pre-implantation factor in the development of cardiac diseases in radiation-induced rats.
- Zsuzsana Kovács (HU) – Anti-hypertrophic effect of the adrenergic beta-3 agonist receptor in experimental uremic cardiomyopathy.
- Alin Iliescu (RO) – Clinical database of patients with atrial fibrillation, imATFIB study.
- Radu Mărginean (RO) – Interactive segmentation of the whole heart from cardiac MRI images.
- Delia Dumitru (RO) – Optimization of the rules of the cellular apparatus for edge detection using evolutionary algorithms.
- Alexandru Vasiu (RO) – 3D modeling of CT images based on image segmentation.
- Andrei Ștefancu (RO) – Silver nanoparticles as sensors for albuminuria.
- Vlad Moisoiu (RO) – Differentiation of genomic DNA methylation with SERS.